We hold our Donation Drives on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. (We are at our space many other Sats as well; check in with us.) Please email us at email@example.com for our address or any questions about anything you’d like to donate. Further down on this page are items needed for each of our programs; a sub-set of those needs are in the list on top (most-needed items). If you don’t see something on the most-needed list, it does not mean that we don’t actually need it! Almost all of our needs are year-round.
Click here for our Walmart registry.
Click here for our Amazon registry.
Click here for our furniture donation guidelines (email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Current most-needed items (as of Mar 16) are listed below. We can take any of these items at any time (other than furniture – please check with us on that). The lists below (“new” or “new or gently used”) are our top needed items.
New items (most needed in bold; if we have none or almost none right now, in bold red):
- Standard bed pillows (out)
- Kitchen trash cans (that hold 13 gallon bags) (Publix has for under $10 each) (out)
- Underwear – Boys’ sizes 8 -10, 10-12, 14-16. Girls’ 4T-5T. Women 4, 5, 6, 7.
- Markers and colored pencils (boxes of 10-12). Options at Amazon:
- Specific books – Barbie, Bluey, dinosaur, Dr. Seuss, Paw Patrol, Marvel, sharks, space, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, science fiction, graphic novels, and classics for 9 to 18-yr-old boys and girls. Also need any books for 9 to 13-yr-old girls. (SUG has a few listed; you can get any that fall into the categories mentioned even if not listed in the SUG.) https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0945aba82ca2f94-snga
- Amazon Fire 7, Fire 8, Fire 8 kids tablets (be sure to designate as a gift when ordering – or delete from your “My Devices” list)
- Amazon Fire 7 and 8 tablet cases (blue, pink, red, black)
- Certain stuffed animals – wolves, leopards, monkeys, gorillas, kitty cats
- Certain character coloring books – Batman, Barbie, Bluey, Cars/hot wheels, Minions, Ninja Turtle, PJ Mask, Spiderman, Thomas the Train/trains/trucks, Superman.
- Certain character/themed backpacks – Barbie, cars/hot wheels, Fortnite, Frozen, LOL, mermaid, Minnie Mouse, Peppa Pig, Pokeman, Princess, Roblox, Trolls, Spiderman, sports, superheroes
- Sippy cups and toddler trays/bowls/cups sets ($5 @ Walmart)
New or gently used items which are most needed in bold; if we have none right now, in bold red (all used items should be clean/laundered with no stains or damage):
- Mattresses and box springs (no stains or damage)
- Essential furniture in good shape/clean – our needs change often so please email photos (email@example.com) if you have anything to donate
- Mattress covers
- Sheets and blankets – especially need twin and full
- Queen, full, and twin comforters
- Baby lotion and powder, crib sheets (esp boys or neutral), crib mattress covers, and other baby bedding/blankets. Other baby items such as strollers, pack n’ plays, high chairs, bouncers, walkers (clean and in good shape).
- TVs in working order, cable-ready, and has a stand (not wall mount only). And can be lifted/carried by one strong person.
- Table lamps with all the parts
- Candles (larger size; no tea)
- Gently used, dark colored backpacks (for the homeless)
- Sharp knives (paring and other)
- Toasters (out)
- DVD players ($25ish at Walmart or Amazon)
- Microwaves (one left)
- Crockpots (out)
- Toaster ovens
- Irons and ironing boards (inexpensive smaller ones at Walmart)
- Drinking glass sets
- Throw blankets
- Bath towels and hand towels
- Kitchen towels
- Plastic containers/tupperware – larger only needed
- Larger – Pots, sauce pans, stockpots and skillets
- Casserole dishes (preferably with lids)
- Roasters and baking dishes 9×13 – metal or glass
- Extension cords (Walmart – $2-3)
- Power strips
- (gently used or Dollar Tree/Walmart items) ladles, spatulas (scraper), peelers, paper towel holders, can openers
- Blenders, teapots
- Small wall mirrors
- Small and medium wall art
- Gaming systems
- Air mattresses preferably those with built-in pumps (or an external pump)
- Computers (laptops and desktops)
- DVDs for kids and adults
- School uniforms without logos
- Men’s 26″ bikes in good condition (or needing slight repair)
- Men’s boots (for the homeless population)
See below for our full wish list by program. We do not need used: toys (including stuffed animals and bikes), bed pillows, cleaning supplies, or kids’ backpacks (can take adult used). We no longer need egg cartons. We also do not need area rugs (can take small that are in good shape and clean), window treatments/curtains, clothing (except for school uniforms and outerwear – winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves) or decorative items other than small/medium artwork and mirrors. For furniture, we don’t need curio/china cabinets, entertainment centers, futons, sleeper sofas, reclining sofas or loveseats, or bed pieces (such as a random headboard). [NOTES: Please do NOT drop off large furniture at our space; we will schedule a pick up or drop off at our storage unit (separate location) if you have items we need at the time. We do not publicly post our address because we cannot accept donations when we are not at the warehouse.] Here are some of the items we routinely collect.
Simply Sheltered: (new or gently used) blankets, sleeping bags, sheets, square throw pillows, tarps, tents, camping supplies, bicycles and locks (new helmets), bug spray, sunscreen, backpacks, coats, jackets, hats, hoodies, gloves, scarves, candles, boots, sneakers and thermals/long underwear. New batteries, bus passes. Yard tools – shovels, pick axes, pruners, hedge clippers, rakes.
Uniforms for Excellence: school uniforms for social workers to distribute to families in need. (Some public schools in Cobb County require uniforms such as khakis and certain color polo shirts, and not all the families can afford them since many of their kids’ clothes are hand-me-downs.) Keep an eye on clearance racks at discount-oriented retailers like Walmart. On one trip, we were able to buy 10 pair of khakis for just $7 or $9 each, along with 30 polo shirts at just $3 each!
My Birthday Matters (new donations only): Art supplies/kits and drawing pads; character toys such as Batman, Black Panther, Spiderman, Paw Patrol, Frozen, Cocomelon; sports equipment (footballs, soccer balls, basketballs, bats & balls & gloves); backpacks (especially those with the characters listed above or larger ones for teens who need to carry a lot); books for children (esp. educational for 4-5 yr olds) and teenagers (such as Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, mysteries); no-sew “character” blanket kits or fleece (1.5-2 yards of print and a matching solid). We also need new underwear and socks for boys and girls (including teens/adult sizes).
Comfort Kits (new items only): 20′ or larger duffel bags, toiletry and hygiene items (see our web page for a full list), flip flops (to be used as shower shoes – mens’ sizes L and XL preferred).
Shoe Them Love (new items only): $25 Walmart gift cards or brand new shoes for schoolchildren of all ages. The shoes will go to the school clothes closet; the gift cards go to the social workers who purchase specific shoes for the kids.
Simple Household Needs:
Laundry baskets, detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies. (For cleaning kits, we use new items only.) Gently used items can include small kitchen and household appliances (microwaves/toaster ovens/vacuums), bedding, electronics, pots/pans, flatware, glasses, furniture (see donation guidelines above) and more. See SHN webpage for more detail.
One thought on “Needed Items”