We hold our Donation Drives on the third Saturday of each month from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Please email us at email@example.com for our address or any questions about anything you’d like to donate. Further down on this page are donations needed for each of our programs. Specific birthday needs for the kids are listed on our SignUp Genius – link above. Current most-needed items (as of May 19, 2017):
- Women’s socks (for older teens)
- Larger packs (10-12) of colored pencils and markers
- Trash cans (kitchen and bath) – can be gently used
- Shower curtains (outside curtains can be gently used)
- Diapers – size newborn/1/2 (we have enough of the other sizes) and baby wipes
- Sharp scissors to cut fleece (for our no-sew blankets)
- Character toys ($20-30 range) – Hello Kitty, Spiderman, trains (Thomas the Train or other)
- See SignUp Genius – link above – for other items, including specific birthday wishes for some children!
New or gently used items (most needed in bold):
- Any shoes, any condition as long as no holes in the soles (collecting for the Kiwanis Club)
- Children’s clothing in good condition
- Vacuum cleaners
- Pots and pans
- Power strips
- Blankets (twin, full, queen, king)
- Casserole dishes
- Baking pans/cookie sheets
- Gaming systems
- Toasters and toaster ovens
- Air mattresses
- Computers (laptop or desktop)
- Smaller pictures, mirrors or other wall decorations
- Measuring cups, serving spoons, other kitchen essentials
- Dish or glass sets
- Mattress pads – all sizes
- Plastic bags (grocery or otherwise) of any kind (holes or tears is fine) out of which folks can make sleeping mats for those living in the woods (it takes 700 bags per mat!)
- Appliances – washers/dryers, vacuum cleaners, microwaves, DVD players
- Furniture – bunk beds, toddler beds, mattresses and box springs (esp. twin), frames of all sizes, dressers or chests of drawers, sofas, TVs, TV stands, smaller entertainment centers, bookshelves, small desks, coffee tables (let us know about any furniture; our needs change all the time)
- Baby items, especially double strollers
- Men’s 26″ bikes in good condition (or needing slight repair)
- Men’s sneakers or boots (for the homeless population)
See below for our full wish list by program. If we get donations of items we don’t need, we give them to other charities. We work with MUST, LiveSAFE Resources (formerly the YWCA), Cobb/Douglas Community Service Board, the Extension, Family Promise of Cobb, Communities in Schools, and Sweetwater Mission, among others. [NOTES: Please do NOT drop off large furniture at our space; we will schedule a pick up or drop off at our storage unit (separate location) if you have items we need at the time. We do not publicly post our address because we cannot accept donations when we are not at the warehouse.] Here are some of the items we routinely collect.
Simply Sheltered: (new or gently used) blankets, sleeping bags, sheets, tarps, tents, camping supplies, bicycles and locks (new helmets), bug spray, sunscreen, backpacks, coats, jackets, hats, hoodies, gloves, scarves, candles, boots, sneakers and thermals/long underwear. New batteries, bus passes.
Uniforms for Excellence: school uniforms for social workers to distribute to families in need. (Some public schools in Cobb County require uniforms such as khakis and certain color polo shirts, and not all the families can afford them since many of their kids’ clothes are hand-me-downs.) Keep an eye on clearance racks at discount-oriented retailers like Walmart. On one trip, we were able to buy 10 pair of khakis for just $7 or $9 each, along with 30 polo shirts at just $3 each! For the two schools we are concentrating on (in Powder Springs), they need blue, navy, white, hunter green, yellow, pink, grey, burnt orange or black. If anyone donates another color, we’ll share it with other schools!
My Birthday Matters (new donations only): Art supplies/kits and drawing pads; character toys such as Batman, Doc McStuffins, Hello Kitty, Dora the Explorer, Ninja Turtles, Spiderman, Star Wars, Paw Patrol, Monster High, Frozen; sports equipment (footballs, soccer balls, basketballs, bats & balls & gloves); backpacks (especially those with the characters listed above or larger ones for teens who need to carry a lot); books for children (esp. educational for 4-5 yr olds) and teenagers (such as Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, mysteries); children’s and teen’s wrapping paper (especially for boys); no-sew “character” blanket kits or fleece (1.5-2 yards of print and a matching solid). We also need new underwear and socks for boys and girls (including teens/adult sizes). NOTE: To support the school social workers, we also need new or gently used coats, hats, scarves, and gloves in various sizes for schoolchildren of all ages.
Comfort Kits (new items only): 20′ or larger duffel bags, toiletry and hygiene items (see our web page for a full list), flip flops (to be used as shower shoes – mens’ sizes L and XL preferred)
Shoe Them Love (new items only): $25 Walmart or Payless Shoes gift cards or brand new shoes for schoolchildren of all ages.The shoes will go to the school clothes closet; the gift cards go to the social workers who purchase shoes for the kids.
Simple Household Needs:
Laundry baskets, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies. (For these cleaning kits, we use new items only.) Gently used items can include small kitchen and household appliances (washers/dryers, microwaves/toaster ovens/vacuum cleaners), bedding, electronics, pots and pans, flatware, glasses, furniture (see note above about donation process) and more. See our SHN webpage for more details.