We hold our Donation Drives on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. (We are at our space other Sats as well; check in with us.) Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for our address or any questions about anything you’d like to donate. Further down on this page are items needed for each of our programs; a sub-set of those needs are in the list on top (most-needed items). There are many things that we do not need since our programs are very specific – see below. Specific birthday needs for the kids are listed on our SignUp Genius – link above.
Here are our furniture donation guidelines (email photos to email@example.com).
Current most-needed items (as of Oct 23) are listed below. We can take any of these items at any time (other than furniture – please check with us on that). The lists below (“new” or “new or gently used”) are our top needed items.
New items (most needed in bold; if we have none or almost none right now, in bold red):
- Stuffed animals, specifically dogs, cats, monkeys, larger teddy bears, tigers, koala bears, sharks, elephants
- Women’s socks (esp other than ankle)
- Men’s boxers or boxer briefs, size large
- Boy’s underwear size 10-12
- Boys & girls toddler socks, all sizes esp girls 3-6 mo, 6-12 mo, 18-24 mo, 4T-5T. Boys 2T-3T, 4T-5T.
- Hot wheel track sets (do not need more cars)
- Baby lotion
- Kitchen trash cans (hold 13 gallon bags) (Target has for around $11)
- Specific books – https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0945aba82ca2f94-snga
- AA and AAA batteries
- Amazon Fire 7 tablets and cases (black/red/blue/pink/purple)
- Amazon Fire 8 tablets (and cases)
- Supplies needed for our programs and warehouse: 13 gallon garbage bags (we include in our cleaning kits), 33 gallon garbage bags, gallon (only) ziploc bags
- Maxi pads
- Sippy cups and toddler trays/bowls/cups sets ($5 @ Walmart)
New or gently used items which are most needed in bold; if we have none right now, in bold red (all used items should be clean with no stains or damage):
- Winter outerwear – coats, hats, gloves, scarves – for adults and children (esp need women’s large and xl coats)
- TVs in working order and cable-ready. And can be lifted/carried by one strong person.
- Candles (larger size; no tea)
- Check with us on any furniture you’d like to donate (email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Toasters ($10 at Walmart)
- DVD players ($25ish at Walmart or Amazon)
- Coffee makers (5 cup or 12 cup – $10ish at Walmart)
- Blankets – all sizes
- Crib sheets and other baby bedding
- Floor lamps (less than $10 at Walmart)
- Washcloths (set of 16 around $4 at Walmart)
- Bath towels and hand towels
- Irons and ironing boards (inexpensive smaller ones at Walmart)
- Pots, pans, stockpots and skillets (all sizes are needed – larger especially)
- Large coffee cups/mugs
- Casserole dishes with lids
- Baking dishes 9×13 – metal or glass
- Extension cords (Walmart – less than $2)
- Power strips
- (gently used or Dollar Tree items) serving spoons, tongs, peelers, colanders/strainers, pitchers, screwdrivers, pizza cutter, cookie sheets, muffin tins, round cake pans, loaf pans, measuring cups/spoons (or sets)
- Blenders, mixers, tea pots
- Small wall mirrors
- Small and medium wall art
- Gaming systems
- Air mattresses preferably those with built-in pumps (or an external pump)
- Laptop computers
- DVDs for kids and adults
- School uniforms without logos
- Men’s 26″ bikes in good condition (or needing slight repair)
- Men’s boots (for the homeless population)
See below for our full wish list by program. We do not need used: toys, pillows, cleaning supplies, or kids’ backpacks (can take adult used). We no longer need egg cartons. We also do not need clothing (except for school uniforms and outerwear – coats, hats, gloves, scarves) or decorative items other than small/medium artwork. For furniture, we don’t need curio/china cabinets, entertainment centers, futons, sleeper sofas, reclining sofas, or bed pieces (such as a random headboard). [NOTES: Please do NOT drop off large furniture at our space; we will schedule a pick up or drop off at our storage unit (separate location) if you have items we need at the time. We do not publicly post our address because we cannot accept donations when we are not at the warehouse.] Here are some of the items we routinely collect.
Simply Sheltered: (new or gently used) blankets, sleeping bags, sheets, square throw pillows, tarps, tents, camping supplies, bicycles and locks (new helmets), bug spray, sunscreen, backpacks, coats, jackets, hats, hoodies, gloves, scarves, candles, boots, sneakers and thermals/long underwear. New batteries, bus passes. Yard tools – shovels, pick axes, pruners, hedge clippers, rakes.
Uniforms for Excellence: school uniforms for social workers to distribute to families in need. (Some public schools in Cobb County require uniforms such as khakis and certain color polo shirts, and not all the families can afford them since many of their kids’ clothes are hand-me-downs.) Keep an eye on clearance racks at discount-oriented retailers like Walmart. On one trip, we were able to buy 10 pair of khakis for just $7 or $9 each, along with 30 polo shirts at just $3 each!
My Birthday Matters (new donations only): Art supplies/kits and drawing pads; character toys such as Batman, Black Panther, Spiderman, Paw Patrol, Frozen, Cocomelon; sports equipment (footballs, soccer balls, basketballs, bats & balls & gloves); backpacks (especially those with the characters listed above or larger ones for teens who need to carry a lot); books for children (esp. educational for 4-5 yr olds) and teenagers (such as Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, mysteries); no-sew “character” blanket kits or fleece (1.5-2 yards of print and a matching solid). We also need new underwear and socks for boys and girls (including teens/adult sizes).
Comfort Kits (new items only): 20′ or larger duffel bags, toiletry and hygiene items (see our web page for a full list), flip flops (to be used as shower shoes – mens’ sizes L and XL preferred).
Shoe Them Love (new items only): $25 Walmart gift cards or brand new shoes for schoolchildren of all ages. The shoes will go to the school clothes closet; the gift cards go to the social workers who purchase specific shoes for the kids.
Simple Household Needs:
Laundry baskets, detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies. (For cleaning kits, we use new items only.) Gently used items can include small kitchen and household appliances (microwaves/toaster ovens/vacuums), bedding, electronics, pots/pans, flatware, glasses, furniture (see donation guidelines above) and more. See SHN webpage for more detail.