We hold our Donation Drives on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Please email us at email@example.com for our address or any questions about anything you’d like to donate. Further down on this page are donations needed for each of our programs. Specific birthday needs for the kids are listed on our SignUp Genius – link above.
Here are our furniture donation guidelines.
Current most-needed items (as of Jan 11):
New items (most needed in bold; if we have none or almost none right now, in bold red):
- Kids’ toothbrushes
- Mops and brooms
- Kitchen and bath trash cans – can be gently used/clean
- Backpacks for kids in high school (larger to hold the heavier weight), especially blue and red (most requested colors) – on clearance at Sam’s Club
- Books – board and other for kids ages 1 – 3; learning books – letters, numbers, colors plus stories; Diary of a Wimpy Kid (esp. the newer in the series); books for tween boys; Amelia Bedelia; action and mystery for teenagers; character books such as Batman, Paw Patrol, Minnie Mouse, Princess, Ninja Turtle, Doc McStuffins
- Amazon Fire 7 tablets and black/red/blue/pink cases
- Teen/adult coloring books
- Size 6 diapers
- Baby wipes
- See SignUp Genius – link above – for other items, including specific birthday wishes for some children when we have them!
New or gently used items with most needed in bold; if we have none right now, in bold red (any used items should be clean with no stains or damage):
- Twin and queen sheet sets and comforters
- Hand warmers
- Candles (taper and pillar; partially used is fine)
- Mattress pads – all sizes
- Blankets – all sizes (esp queen)
- Floor lamps (inexpensive at Walmart)
- Bath towels
- Dish towels
- Outside shower curtains
- Curtain rods (standard only needed)
- Baby items especially pack ‘n plays, double strollers, walkers, high chairs
- Drinking glasses (sets preferred)
- Microwaves (option – https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-0-9-cu-ft-Microwave-Oven-Stainless-Steel/55124372 or https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-0-7-cu-ft-Digital-Microwave/51223342?fbclid=IwAR1-Ayp0q5TdSX7u8YsKYBBlvhZi3IxfIF8by0vWrsD5AT6_ueJxtqN-ni0)
- Irons and ironing boards (inexpensive smaller ones at Walmart)
- Pots and pans (no skillets needed)
- DVD players
- Vegetable peelers
- Large serving bowls
- Coffee makers
- Large, oversized coffee cups/mugs
- Casserole dishes (esp larger, preferably with lids)
- Baking dishes (such as for lasagna)
- Sharp/steak knives (esp paring and larger chopping knives)
- Pot holders and oven mitts (Dollar Tree)
- Plastic drinking cups – both kid and adult sizes
- Silverware and silverware trays (latter, Dollar Tree)
- Paper towel holders (Dollar Tree)
- Lightbulbs for lamps (Dollar Tree)
- Alarm clocks
- Power strips and extension cords
- Gaming systems
- Air mattresses esp those with built-in pumps (or an external pump)
- Laptop computers
- Yard tools – shovels, pick axes, pruners, hedge clippers, rakes (for the homeless living in the woods)
- DVDs for kids
- Furniture (in good shape – no stains or damage) – toddler beds, bunk beds, kitchen tables and chairs, all size mattresses (esp twin and queen) and box springs (except full unless with a set), queen bed frames, cable-ready TVs (working order, not too heavy), TV stands, bookshelves, end tables, nightstands, coffee tables, small desks (let us know about any furniture; our needs change all the time). We do not need china cabinets, large entertainment centers or rugs.
- Men’s 26″ bikes in good condition (or needing slight repair)
- Men’s boots (for the homeless population)
See below for our full wish list by program. We do not need used toys, used pillows, plastic bags (we have enough for now), used cleaning supplies, or clothing (except for school uniforms and outerwear in the fall/winter). We also do not need decorative items other than small/medium artwork. [NOTES: Please do NOT drop off large furniture at our space; we will schedule a pick up or drop off at our storage unit (separate location) if you have items we need at the time. We do not publicly post our address because we cannot accept donations when we are not at the warehouse.] Here are some of the items we routinely collect.
Simply Sheltered: (new or gently used) blankets, sleeping bags, sheets, square throw pillows, tarps, tents, camping supplies, bicycles and locks (new helmets), bug spray, sunscreen, backpacks, coats, jackets, hats, hoodies, gloves, scarves, candles, boots, sneakers and thermals/long underwear. New batteries, bus passes. Yard tools – shovels, pick axes, pruners, hedge clippers, rakes.
Uniforms for Excellence: school uniforms for social workers to distribute to families in need. (Some public schools in Cobb County require uniforms such as khakis and certain color polo shirts, and not all the families can afford them since many of their kids’ clothes are hand-me-downs.) Keep an eye on clearance racks at discount-oriented retailers like Walmart. On one trip, we were able to buy 10 pair of khakis for just $7 or $9 each, along with 30 polo shirts at just $3 each!
My Birthday Matters (new donations only): Art supplies/kits and drawing pads; character toys such as Batman, Doc McStuffins, Hello Kitty, Dora the Explorer, Ninja Turtles, Spiderman, Paw Patrol, Frozen; sports equipment (footballs, soccer balls, basketballs, bats & balls & gloves); backpacks (especially those with the characters listed above or larger ones for teens who need to carry a lot); books for children (esp. educational for 4-5 yr olds) and teenagers (such as Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, mysteries); children’s and teen’s wrapping paper (especially for boys); no-sew “character” blanket kits or fleece (1.5-2 yards of print and a matching solid). We also need new underwear and socks for boys and girls (including teens/adult sizes). NOTE: To support the school social workers, we also need new or gently used coats, hats, scarves, and gloves in various sizes for schoolchildren of all ages.
Comfort Kits (new items only): 20′ or larger duffel bags, toiletry and hygiene items (see our web page for a full list), flip flops (to be used as shower shoes – mens’ sizes L and XL preferred)
Shoe Them Love (new items only): $25 Walmart gift cards or brand new shoes for schoolchildren of all ages.The shoes will go to the school clothes closet; the gift cards go to the social workers who purchase shoes for the kids.
Simple Household Needs:
Laundry baskets, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies. (For these cleaning kits, we use new items only.) Gently used items can include small kitchen and household appliances (microwaves/toaster ovens/vacuum cleaners), bedding, electronics, pots and pans, flatware, glasses, furniture (see note above about donation process) and more. See our SHN webpage for more details.