At Simple Needs GA, our top priority is always the safety of our volunteers, donors and clients. We have been closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak in our county. We are now holding our Donation Drives (see below). Notes that we have limited space now since we quarantine all for a week, so we can only take what we need. So please be sure to just bring what we need for our programs, some of which needs to be new only such as for the birthday program (email us if you’re not sure).
Donations are to be left outside; we will carry them inside (donors are not coming inside our space at this time).
Furniture – We are picking up gently used, stain-free mattresses and box springs from outside donor’s homes (by appt). We are not picking up any other furniture at this time. If you have essential furniture that you can deliver and unload yourself, you can bring to our Marietta storage location (2.2 miles away from our Donation Drive warehouse). If you have something to donate, please email email@example.com and we will arrange for you to drop off.
Thank you for your support of Simple Needs GA. We wish you safety and strength during this difficult period.
–Simple Needs GA board of directors
We hold our Donation Drives on the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for our address or any questions about anything you’d like to donate. Further down on this page are items needed for each of our programs; a sub-set of those needs are in the list on top (most-needed items). Specific birthday needs for the kids are listed on our SignUp Genius – link above.
Here are our furniture donation guidelines (see above for COVID details)
Current most-needed items (as of September 20):
New items (most needed in bold; if we have none or almost none right now, in bold red):
- Kitchen trash cans
- Backpacks for kids in high school (larger to hold the heavier weight), especially blue, red and pink (most requested colors)
- Character backpacks – specifically Batman, Cars/Hot Wheels, Fortnite, Superman, trains and trucks, sports, JoJo Siwa, Barbie, Shopkins, LOL, Moana, Minions
- Books – board and other for kids ages 1 – 3; books for kids ages 3-4; learning books – letters, numbers, colors plus stories; Dr. Seuss; books for tween boys; classics for tweens/teens; Amelia Bedelia; action and mystery for teenagers; character books such as Batman, Spiderman, Paw Patrol, Minnie Mouse, Princess, Ninja Turtle
- Amazon Fire 7 tables and cases (black/red/blue/pink)
- Amazon Fire 8 tablets (and cases)
- Art kits for kids ages 3-12 ($20 option at Target, Walmart and Amazon)
- Mops and brooms
- See SignUp Genius – link above – for other items, including specific birthday wishes for some children when we have them!
New or gently used items which are most needed in bold; if we have none right now, in bold red (any used items should be clean with no stains or damage):
- bunk beds
- Larger sharp knives
- 2- or 4-slice toasters
- DVD players ($25 at Walmart)
- Toaster ovens
- Coffee makers (5 cup or 12 cup – $10ish at Walmart)
- Mattress covers (esp queen, twin, king)
- Sheets – queen and full
- Blankets – all sizes
- Floor lamps (inexpensive at Walmart and Target)
- Table lamps
- Comforters – full and queen, twin for girls
- Bath towels (on sale at Kohls)
- Hand towels and washcloths
- Shower curtains (inside and out)
- Large drinking glasses (sets preferred)
- Irons and ironing boards (inexpensive smaller ones at Walmart)
- Larger pots (4qt and larger), pans, and skillets
- Large coffee cups/mugs
- Casserole dishes (esp larger, preferably with lids)
- Baking dishes (such as for lasagna)
- Baking items – cookie sheets, muffin tins, round cake, brownie and loaf pans, etc.
- Dollar Tree items (all $1) – strainers, salt and pepper shakers, paper towel holders, light bulbs, pizza cutters, cheese graters, vegetable peelers, whisks, kitchen scissors, cutting boards, screwdrivers, measuring tapes, dish pans, microwave spatter covers
- Hangers – preferably bagged in qty of 20
- Small wall mirrors
- Small and medium wall art
- Power strips and extension cords
- Gaming systems
- Air mattresses preferably those with built-in pumps (or an external pump)
- Laptop computers
- Yard tools – shovels, pick axes, pruners, hedge clippers, rakes (for the homeless living in the woods)
- DVDs for kids and adults
- Empty egg cartons for Sweetwater Mission in Austell (we will get to them)
- Men’s 26″ bikes in good condition (or needing slight repair)
- Men’s boots (for the homeless population)
See below for our full wish list by program. We do not need used: toys, pillows, cleaning supplies, or kids’ backpacks (can take adult used). We also do not need clothing (except for school uniforms and outerwear in the fall/winter) or decorative items other than small/medium artwork. [NOTES: Please do NOT drop off large furniture at our space; we will schedule a pick up or drop off at our storage unit (separate location) if you have items we need at the time. We do not publicly post our address because we cannot accept donations when we are not at the warehouse.] Here are some of the items we routinely collect.
Simply Sheltered: (new or gently used) blankets, sleeping bags, sheets, square throw pillows, tarps, tents, camping supplies, bicycles and locks (new helmets), bug spray, sunscreen, backpacks, coats, jackets, hats, hoodies, gloves, scarves, candles, boots, sneakers and thermals/long underwear. New batteries, bus passes. Yard tools – shovels, pick axes, pruners, hedge clippers, rakes.
Uniforms for Excellence: school uniforms for social workers to distribute to families in need. (Some public schools in Cobb County require uniforms such as khakis and certain color polo shirts, and not all the families can afford them since many of their kids’ clothes are hand-me-downs.) Keep an eye on clearance racks at discount-oriented retailers like Walmart. On one trip, we were able to buy 10 pair of khakis for just $7 or $9 each, along with 30 polo shirts at just $3 each!
My Birthday Matters (new donations only): Art supplies/kits and drawing pads; character toys such as Batman, Doc McStuffins, Hello Kitty, Dora the Explorer, Ninja Turtles, Spiderman, Paw Patrol, Frozen; sports equipment (footballs, soccer balls, basketballs, bats & balls & gloves); backpacks (especially those with the characters listed above or larger ones for teens who need to carry a lot); books for children (esp. educational for 4-5 yr olds) and teenagers (such as Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, mysteries); children’s and teen’s wrapping paper (especially for boys); no-sew “character” blanket kits or fleece (1.5-2 yards of print and a matching solid). We also need new underwear and socks for boys and girls (including teens/adult sizes). NOTE: To support the school social workers, we also need new or gently used coats, hats, scarves, and gloves in various sizes for schoolchildren of all ages.
Comfort Kits (new items only): 20′ or larger duffel bags, toiletry and hygiene items (see our web page for a full list), flip flops (to be used as shower shoes – mens’ sizes L and XL preferred)
Shoe Them Love (new items only): $25 Walmart gift cards or brand new shoes for schoolchildren of all ages.The shoes will go to the school clothes closet; the gift cards go to the social workers who purchase shoes for the kids.
Simple Household Needs:
Laundry baskets, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies. (For these cleaning kits, we use new items only.) Gently used items can include small kitchen and household appliances (microwaves/toaster ovens/vacuum cleaners), bedding, electronics, pots and pans, flatware, glasses, furniture (see note above about donation process) and more. See our SHN webpage for more details.